There are a lot of facts and statistics floating around about the state of sex trafficking in the Northwest. Because the nature of this dark industry is not only subversive, but constantly changing, such numbers are difficult to confirm and become outdated very quickly. Below we have tried our best to give you an accurate glimpse into the reality of sex trafficking in our community. However, I think we can all agree that regardless the numbers, there is a dire need for us to step up and take action!
A Quick Look:
- The exploited youth are not Child Prostitutes, nor are they Prostitutes: They are victims.
- 1 in 5 pornographic images is a child - most are under age 5
- Traffickers produce pornography of sex trafficking victims to diversify their profit and advertise victims for prostitution. Often, they show pornography to sex trafficking victims to train them and desensitize them to the sex acts they will be forced to perform.
- In 2015, the National Human Trafficking Hotline received 252 calls from Oregon and 410 calls from Washington, with 163 reported cases. Read more statistics about Oregon and Washington.
- An extremely high percentage of sexually exploited children have a history of being sexually abused as a child. Many estimate between 80 and 90%.
- It's esitmated that 75% of runaways are approached by a pimp within 48 hours.
- Pimps recruit kids at malls, on the Max, bus lines and bus stops, parties, around schools, through other youth, and online.
- Pimps often brand girls by tattooing their name or gang name on their neck or elsewhere
- Mentoring Matters! Many sexually exploited children have grown up without love, affection, attention, and the security of a stable home.